Why Using the Right Charger or Power Adapter Matters
Over the years, you’ve likely collected a large array of chargers and power adapters. It can be difficult to keep track of which charger goes with which device.
If you’re unsure, proceed with caution. Connecting two incompatible pieces can completely fry the gadget you’re trying to power up — or, worse, cause a house fire. Below, we take a closer look:
Every AC/DC power adapter is made specifically to accept one kind of AC input and convert it into one kind of DC output. Similarly, each electronic gadget is made specifically to accept a certain DC input. To avoid breaking your device, you need to match the adapter’s DC output to the device’s DC input.
Insufficient power will not charge your device correctly. Too much power can generate heat, which will kill certain electronics.
Using the wrong adapter could go very wrong:
- Reversing the polarity can lead to damaged electronics or burnt out fuses
- If the voltage is too low, your device will probably work inconsistently, but it’s not likely to sustain any serious damage
- Connecting a high-voltage adapter to a low-voltage electronic can result in overheating, a shortened device lifespan and/or immediate device damage
- If your adapter’s current is higher than what the device requires, you shouldn’t have any issues
- On the other hand, if your adapter’s current is lower than what the device needs, the adapter may overheat and fail
At Jupiter-Tequesta Air Conditioning, Plumbing & Electric, we offer a wide variety of electrical services. Whether you need help troubleshooting an issue or would like to install new landscape lighting, give us a call:
Tequesta: (561) 747-5740
Palm Beach: (561) 626-6822
Martin: (772) 546-2822
St. Lucie: (772) 546-2822
Tags: Electrician Jupiter FL, electrician palm beach gardens, electrician tequesta fl, Electrician West Palm Beach, Landscape Lighting West Palm Beach
Posted in Electric • Comments Off on Why Using the Right Charger or Power Adapter Matters