Electrical Cord Safety Tips For Florida Homeowners
Did you know that home electrical fires account for an estimated 51,000 fires each year? The most affected areas under your roof are your bedroom, attic, and kitchen. More than 50% of those fires could be prevented. Start protecting your home by following some of these electrical safety tips:
- Keep unprotected cords out of high-traffic areas to prevent fraying, overheating, and tripping.
- Never run a cord under a rug — this can prevent the cord from releasing its head and could lead to a fire.
- Use cord-bundling devices like Cable Turtles or plastic spiral wire wrap. This helps avoid cramming too many cords together, which can eventually lead to the breakdown of the cord’s insulation.
- Don’t overload your outlets or extension cords with too many appliances. Adding appliances with too much wattage can also max out the capacity.
- Remember, water and electric do not mix! So, throwing water onto an electrical fire can actually cause the fire to grow larger — use a chemical fire extinguisher instead!
- Cover all unused electrical openings with electrical enclosures and fittings (besides, the NEC requires them to be installed anyway!).
In order for us to be safe in our homes, it’s important for all homeowners to understand these electrical safety tips. However, if there’s ever an issue with your electric, the experts at Jupiter-Tequesta Air Conditioning, Plumbing & Electric are more than happy to come help! We offer a wide variety of electrical services. Whether you’re looking for expert landscape lighting installation or new wiring for appliances, we’re here to help. Give us a call to learn more!
Jupiter: (561) 747-5740
Palm Beach: (561) 626-6822
Martin: (772) 546-2822
St. Lucie: (772) 546-2822
Posted in Uncategorized • Comments Off on Electrical Cord Safety Tips For Florida Homeowners